Friday, March 29, 2013

Cut and paste - when bad things happen to good drawings

So I had this rather good drawing that got completely overdone. This happens. I'm very bad at knowing when to stop sometimes. 

This collage, too, is overdone, but I think that works out more OK than not in this case. Overall I think it's a nice artistic save. I want to push my color palette a little bit into less comfortable territory.  I'm enjoying working with decorative papers, also, and I'm thinking about other approaches to patterns.

So, what do you do when you botch it? I also digitized the figure before I glued her in, so I may work with her again in the future. I'm beginning to truly love my printer!

3 comments:

  1. I love the colours in your collage, i think it works beautifully.
    I also tend to overwork things, but I'm learning to let go =). Sometimes I just accept it and other times I just paint over it =)
    Thank you for your kind comment on my post and for following me.
    Monique xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm loving your gorgeous work! i always have to hold myself back from overdoing things but i always think it's better to keep going and cover up what you don't like rather than be timid about creating. when i make a mistake on a face, i've started covering it up with a circle cut from book pages or sheet music... always give me a new place to begin :)

    thank you for sharing your lovely work! -juliette

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much stuff to look at your piece! Love the way you collage!! xox Conny

    ReplyDelete