Thursday, January 16, 2014

Wax On - Mixed Media wax finished collage art

I'm having a blast covering things with wax! Recognize the background images? I love to use up all of my various printer misfires - you never have to waste good paper!

First, I cut them up and tiled them into a background for this girl.

She's also a print out of one of my paintings - the painting is actually in a progress state, and what I'll do is scan the image before I do something silly to it. Every time I hit a stage of the painting that I like, I'll stop what I'm doing and scan. Then, in the event of a problem, I at least have an underpainting I like, or a record of the work when it was at a stage I thought sort of worked.

Anyhow, after collaging her onto the piece, I painted over her to change the hair, painted over the background, drew over things, stamped some butterflies onto her dress, sealed off the work, and added a layer of beeswax for that misty integrated look that I like. I rounded out a few things with sennelier oil pastels over the wax layer.



Would you consider a piece like this a print or an original? I think of it as an original - it's a mixed media piece with collage elements printed out - the collage elements happen to be things I've drawn and painted in the past in a lot of cases.

She's available for sale, and only one person will have a shot at her, clearly.  Visit my Etsy Shop . 
Use the code SHIPFTW and you'll get free shipping (it adds up on art!) worldwide - until Valentine's day!


4 comments:

  1. I love the misty effect the wax brings. I've never tried it. Does it make a mess? I love her purple lips and the whimsical butterflies. Certainly she is an original. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Actually wax is pretty low-mess if you lay down a covering and use a quilting iron dedicated to wax to apply it. I just hold the iron to the block and drip what I want onto my image then work that over the surface.

    Sometimes I use a heat gun with a lot of fast movement to make the result a little less cake-frosting looking. I've seen people get completely flat surfaces and I have no idea how they do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's lovely! i love the way beeswax looks. Someday, someday...

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is gorgeous and what an interesting process....love how you waste nothing!! You had me at the beautiful hair!! Someone will be a very lucky owner!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete