Thursday, March 20, 2014

Journal Page - The Difficult

I got out the gelli plate the other night - monotype with a press is my "thing" - years ago I had an artist residency at MN book arts for my monotype work.  It's completely different without a press, but I think I'm going to enjoy wrestling with this little silicone blob until I like the results.

 Her crown and dress are some very subtle mossy gelli printed papers. Collage, watercolor, stamping, drawing - other than the water color washes almost all the paint is applied with a tsukineko fantastix foam stick. I'm still crazy for those things.  I should keep a running list of supplies I find "worth it."

Mixed Media on Loose Fabriano Watercolor

I am trying not to go ape and throw poo be bummed about YET MORE SNOW. Enough. Any time now.

Well, even if I'm kept indoors at least I can play. This is like the rainy day activity that never ends.

In GOOD news, it is the anniversary of Paint Party Friday! PPF has introduced me to many talented and friendly bloggers/artists, and it's one of those nice blog parties that makes a self-employed freelancer feel just that tiniest bit less like a cave dwelling hermit. YAY PPF. Here's to many many more!

15 comments:

  1. I love the subtle colours in this piece and your girl has a lovely face. I will have to go away and google those foam sticks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sometimes go on sale, basically it's like a hard foam that comes to a point! The pointy ones are good, the bullet-tip are useless.

      Delete
  2. Lovely work, but sorry about the snow - you shout if you want to! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tsukineko fantastix foam stick...the very name feels good!:-) Love what you did here. Sending you some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your page!!!! This winter just seems to never want to end :( We have had some warmer days here..but back to the colder days tomorrow and most of next week :( I'm beyond ready to shout about it! Love your cave hermit description of yourself ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful work on your blog!

    Smiles from Belgium, Saskia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful - soft, gentle colors with the strong expression and purple pop! Happy PPF!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully painted collaged work. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh! She is so, so pretty! I love her expression, too, which looks she may be secretly plotting to set all of the snow on fire using monkeys and a flamethrower and maybe a set of trick mirrors. I wish her well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an expressive face it's really lovely.. Love the crown and the strong lettering, beautiful soft colours.
    Happy PPF
    Sandy #86

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do wrestle with the gelli-plate - it is great fun. Love the subtlety of the mossy papers you made :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hang in there with the snow...we had very beautiful sunny days of spring her...now it is cold again with possibilities of snow and I am out west!I I love your painting...so pretty and I too want a gelli plate but haven't found one here in Canada yet!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hanging in there! You can DIY a number of ways - make unflavored jello, of course, but also experiment with using pallette/wax paper and even just a sheet of plexiglass works - often you have to wet your paper to really pick up paint in those cases - you can also draw with caran d'ache crayons on plexiglass and pull that with moist or dry paper, depending how wet your marks are.

      Delete
  12. She has a very beautiful face and the colours are lovely.
    I will have to google the gelli plate and the foam sticks, interesting stuff.

    Annabelle m..m

    ReplyDelete